Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Being a Boy Mom

In high school and college I babysat two sets of brothers that were the light of my babysitting life. Their gross humor, rough-housing and watching them snuggle their mommas made me want to have a son.
I am the oldest of three girls. I love my little sisters, their spying, tattling, hugs and willingness to take their big sister's solicited or unsolicited advice has been a joy over the years. I will admit though that I wish there had been an older brother in the Miller family. I always admired my friends with their funny big brothers (or little brothers who were practically my own).
When we found out the baby in my belly was a boy, I was over the moon...except that I never considered I really knew nothing about boy things. Yes, I had babysat boys all growing up but with the role change to momma, I felt pretty clueless. I'm not kidding when I tell you that I started quizzing our 3 year old neighbor on the different Transformers and trying to absorb his knowledge. I promise I got the "are you kidding me" look from sweet Lach a number of times when I would say Bumblebee was the motorcycle and a decepticon or Optimus Prim had a really kind face.
That being said, I just needed to state for my blog records that last weekend I rode on a skateboard for the first time in my life and what I mean by "ride" is I sat on it with Miller in my lap while I scooted us unsuccessfully around my in-laws' driveway.








Yep, you should be pretty impressed!
In a year's time what I've realized is the best part of being a boy mom (besides making sure he's a momma's boy for a few years) is that watching Miller grow up is like watching my husband from childhood. That boy looks just like his daddy from his sweet (non)little head to his Fred Flinstone feet. Oh my goodness, I lloovvee my boys!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: